Sunday, November 30, 2014

one week at a time .

Salame ve?

So here's the thing about a mission, it's like a rollercoaster ride. There are ups and downs. This week had some great ups. This week also had a couple of downs. On the upside...I seriously believe I have been blessed with the gift of tongues. Like I know all missionaries in some ways are blessed but I'm sort of talking about close-to-miraculous! This week after only one week of being in country I was able to teach a whole 30-40 minute lesson - practically all by myself! All the other missionaries say it's super great progress and President Adams called it "miraculous' so I feel so so blessed!! Unfortunately I still cannot understand....anything. Which can make church and church activities a little stressful because people will come up to me and expect me to understand. The latter of which we had this past week. It was sort of like a picnic/recreational activity about an hour outside of Tana, which made it the countryside. It was fun.

I've still been getting used to being here and the country. It's a lot of a transition. I've been getting to know the sisters in the house a little more. Last night, Sr Johnson had me practice making conversation with the two Malagasy sister as a language activity. It was super helpful but sort of funny because I didn't know every other word so I would have to ask her to feed me words - like an actor who had forgotten his lines. Speaking of funny language mistakes...there are two words in Malagasy that sound very similar: vary and very. Unfortunately their meanings are very different, vary means rice and very means lost. So this week I said by accident " There had to be a restoration of the gospel because RICE the church of Jesus Christ" We all got a huge laugh out of that. There are little things like that that happen every week but I laugh along with everyone else because you've got to admit...it's pretty funny. 

On other news, I have been feeling a little sick since I got here, mostly I just have awful stomach cramps that leave me a little immovible but yesterday we called the mission nurse and she gave me some medicine. After it kicked it I felt fine so hopefully I won't have any more problems. 

The people here are so receptive to the gospel, it is incredible. Sometimes a little mindblowing to me. When we start to teach someone, often the whole family will trickle in. And even the little kids will come sit down and try to read the brochures. It's just they have such a thirst for spiritual knowledge and it's not because they are ignorant. The people here know way more about Christ and his gospel and the Bible than the people on La Reunion did. Which just proves that spiritual knowledge is not equal to an education or scientific knowledge. The people here know the Bible so well, they all go to church on Sunday and they dress up in their Sunday best. Seriously, on Sunday you just see everyone in their nice pants and dresses getting into buses carrying their Bibles to go to church. It's so heartwarming. I know I am only going to keep growing my love for these people.

Ok so that was just a mish mash of my thoughts. I will try to record some better stories to tell you all next week! Thank you all for the prayers, I am guaranteed that the amazing language experiences I have had are thanks to the many prayers from you guys all across the world.
Love,
Sr Stewart 

No comments:

Post a Comment